There are two options when needing a SignOnSite Kiosk. The first is to rent one directly from us. This kiosk will have been pre set up and ready for use straight away. Or you can buy your own iPad and set it up to be used as a SignOnSite kiosk.
If you choose to buy your own you can follow the steps below to set it up correctly.
- Downloading the app. The SignOnSite kiosk app can be downloaded by searching "SOSKiosk" on the app store on the iPad.
2. Open the app and allow location services
Other recommended settings to put on the Kiosk
At SignOnSite our kiosks are set up with the following settings, we recommend you do the same.
- Turn brightness to full and auto lock off - when the kiosk is in the kiosk stand the iPads light sensor is covered and will think its dark causing the brightness to be very low
2. auto-brightness off - this stops the iPad from automatically changing brightness. Can be found in general > Accessibility > Display -Accommodations
3. Bluetooth off - this saves battery
4. auto correct and predictive text off - Prevents names from being autocorrected to something different. Can be found in General > Keyboard
iOS 12 Set Up
On iOS 11 and 10 (and lower) a combination of setting Auto-Lock to Never, and starting Guided Access allows a given application (displaying signonsite or other app) to stay on and visible all the time without locking.
With iOS 12 this no longer worked for a few months until an update was released by Apple.
In November a release occurred in iOS 12.1.1 Developer Beta 2, Apple has introduced a feature named "Mirror Display Auto-Lock". It is accessed via Settings->General->Accessibility->Guided Access->Mirror Display Auto-Lock. Underneath it states, "When this is on, Guided Access will mirror the Auto-Lock setting in Display & Brightness. When off, Guided Access will turn off the screen after 20 minutes of inactivity".
This release is now standard in iOS 12.1.1 and resulted in the screen lockig after 12minutes.
This bug has now been resolved. If you are experiencing issues you will be required to make the following change to a new setting introduced in this release to prevent the screen from sleeping: General > Accessibility > Guided Access > Mirror Display Auto-Lock > ON.